Tuesday, 14 June 2011

Why.

It's so easy to lose sight of why. Why you're even bothering to do something. When you don't see any effect for a while, it just seems like you're trying to fill up a bucket with holes in it.

Things take work. Most of the time, things take a lot of work.

Why do we do these things? Probably a variety of reasons. Recognition? Expectation? Success?

All valid reasons, but the one I experienced today was one that can't be translated into a single, or even a couple words.

At the beginning of the year, my first project was the carry on the Study Buddy Program, and expand it to let more people, positively influence other people's lives.
There seemed to be so many problems, ranging from people being unable to find their buddies, to people being rejected by them. I questioned what the point of doing this was, if so many were being unsuccessful.

However, from the start, I was adamant that if this program could make a difference to just one out of every ten kids involved, then that would be pretty damn successful.
Today, I saw that, twice. I saw the relationship formed between the Year 13 and Year 10, the trust and respect the Year 10 has for their buddy, and also the responsibility that the Year 13 felt.

That's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment