Today was just a bit exciting.
Instead of going to school, I went to North Shore Hospital, where I watched my friend's dad operate. I donned the gear, the mask, the cap, the overshoes, and went into the operating room. Even though I knew that I was observing the surgery, I had no idea that I would actually be in the room! It lasted about 3 hours, and I was captured every minute of it.
Before I went, I was slightly scared of being scared - I didn't know whether or not I'd be able to handle it. But upon going in, it was all good :)
The whole team was so nice to me! The surgeons explained what they were doing, I got to stand about 1m away from the patient, and easily see everything that was going. Also, the anesthesiologist showed me her monitors and what all the lines meant, and I got to see lots and lots of cool (and expensive) equipment.
Now I'm definitely sure that I want to pursue medicine, and then surgery =D
No comments:
Post a Comment