Friday, 24 June 2011

Museum Trip.

Deciding to procrastinate a little of sleep on the eve of the MAX exam.

So today we went to the museum. I was just a little bit excited - I haven't been in 4 years! It was a typical rainy post-winter-solstice in Auckland and we set off on the slightly over-heated bus to the Auckland Museum.

I don't think my excitement really had anything to do with the museum itself, but rather the idea of it. I've read two books - The Time Traveller's Wife and The Catcher in the Rye - which have scenes set in museums, with the main idea being about the timelessness of it all.
One of the first things I think of when I hear the word "Auckland Museum" is the children's part of the museum. In case you haven't been, here there are tanks of cockroaches, locusts, crickets, nemos and dorys and a gently sloping path. This hadn't changed a single bit since the last time I went to the museum, or in fact since the first time I went, way back in primary school. Even though so much has changed since then, this little room has stayed the same, and will probably stay the same forever.


Towards the end of the day we sat in the foyer, and watched a class of primary school kids that had been on a class trip to the museum. They sat there with their legs and arms crossed, sitting up like we used to. It reminded me so much of when I was younger, and I imagined what Auckland and the world would be like by the time they were the same age as me in 8, 9 years. It's pretty ridiculous how it'd be around 2020 then. I bet the museum would be exactly the same then too.

No comments:

Post a Comment