Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Changings.

They talk about puberty a lot when you're little. They inform you that "changes" are gonna happen to you - you'll get taller, stronger, your voice will break, and you get warm tinglys when you see that special someone who has the hook next to you in the cloakroom.
Basically they tell you exactly what's gonna happen. People have been there, done that, and the map was drawn a long time ago.

What they don't tell you is that more is to come. Perhaps not of the physical kind, but sometimes it sure will feel like it.
Recently, everyone's started figuring out what they want to do after high school, or at least what they plan to do. Until now, everyone has been unsure or shy about it, but the time has come to finally make a decision. Although this by no means determines the rest of our lives, it is nevertheless a big massive fork in the road. A fork with multiple prongs.

Tonight I went out for a late night HoCho at Paper Moon with some very close friends, including Jessie (there's your shoutout =D) We sat outside, which at first seemed unfortunate, but it was actually quite nice once they turned the heater on. Perhaps not to them, but it felt to me like some super deep, montage-filled scene from some coming of age drama like Fame, as we sat around the table.

We were all there tonight, but how long will that stay for? When you're little you go with your friends from a primary school to the same intermediate, and then more or less the same high school. But what now? Where will we be in a year? We'll all be in different places doing things that we won't be able use to hold a decent conversation with another.

I guess change is inevitable, and so we just have to make the most of this point in our lives. Pretty cliche, I know, but it seems pretty relevant. I was barely gone for 2 weeks, but I already feel a bit detached from the whole high school thing.

This change that happens after you've undergone all those other changes - it's not just internal. It's about changes to your surroundings, who and what you see everyday, whether you're at home in your own bed, or at a university hall.

I've been focusing on the incredibly exciting aspects of it for so long, but now I'm almost there, the less favorable bits are coming to light.

Who knows, I might be completely wrong, and the relief of being back for a while is getting to me.

Maybe next year will be exactly like this year.

2 comments:

  1. That is so true! It's like all the excitement, all the adrenaline starts to turn into dread of all the changes and the new responsibilities. But the excitement always returns, for me anyway :) I'm not going to pretend that leaving my friends wont be hard though; I've been at the same school with the same friends for 13 (this is my 14th) years. The next few years could quite easily be both the scariest and most exciting change I think we will make in our lives. I totally second everything you said though :) True to the letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omfg reading this made me so depressed for some reason.

    ReplyDelete