The last few days of school flew by in the blink of an eye. Was it really only 3 days ago that we were still actually doing work in class? The last few hours of school are forever held in my mind, in comforting detail. It is not until you think about what no longer is, that you wish it were still there. Albeit mundane and still ordinary, I wish I had appreciated it more.
If I met my third form self, I would be in disbelief. I really travelled, I really succeeded, I really did everything that I did? Did I really do all that?
Now, all these moments are just memories. They lie in the past, only living inside of our heads. Slowly, these too will fade, becoming obscured by new memories, new experiences.
We've finished at Rangitoto College.
In third form, my form class filmed ourselves in our English class. This is a tradition that our teacher still carries on now. We just sat there, talked about ourselves, what we liked, what we aspired to be.
At the start of this week, our last week, the same class met up again, to watch this video. 20/27 of us had made it to the end. So much has changed since then. How innocent and impressionable we were. We had so much to learn, so much to experience. We were our undeveloped selves. Still the younglings of the school, we were yet to form our opinions, set our goals, choose our inspirations.
Ryan came on. I still remember that day in 5th form so clearly. The shock, the disbelief. Although I didn't have the privilege of being very close to him, I remember fragments of our encounters. When I bused home with Debbie from the city, and he pulled me aside and asked me if she were my girlfriend. When he brought fancy bluetooth headphones to school. His characteristic bandanna, his easygoing attitude. May he rest in peace.
The video rolled on, and gasps and awws echoed through E13, as our 13 year old selves popped up on stage. I mentioned my love of cheese and my desire to make money. I don't think I knew what I wanted to be back then.
We've all gone on to be different people, going different paths, but this history pulls us together. We'll still remember the days of Social Studies, peer support and rebellious gangsters.
So now we carry on. Time doesn't stop. It's almost cruel how paths cross and diverge so quickly. But our five years at Rangitoto remains a part of us as we venture into the world.
End of an era.
Rangitoto College.
Class of 2011.
i just nostalgia'd. I don't even know why, because they're your memories.
ReplyDeletebut awwwww ): I don't want to grow up...