Sunday, 30 October 2011

Times passing.

In the weekend just been, was the 19th Future Problem Solving National Finals.
It's been a quietly influential part of my time at High School. The annual missing of period 6 and 7, helping set up the camp, sitting our booklets with mountains of food, practicing the Dramatic presentations... Sitting anxiously for the results.

I can still remember the day I went to the meeting in S4, all that time ago. Stumbling in by myself a few minutes late, not realising that it was a team thing. Vaguely knew the people who would come to be my team, and hardly knowing what we were in for.

That year, miraculously, we made it to nationals. Thought we were awesome. Awkward. Didn't even place. We were guttered to say the least. Dramatic Presentation was a horror.

2007

nawww

Fast forward to 2008, we made it to nationals again! In the senior division, because the rest of my team are oldies. This time, we managed to place 2nd! Maybe you can see a recurrent theme in the photos - every time we went, (apart from when we evaluated) we went to the same secret garden near the mall. :)




In May/June the next year, we went to America! Did an epic tour of LA, Chicago, Michigan, Niagara Falls, New York. Pretty much an amazing experience. 


The Bean, Chicago

MSU


Didn't qualify for FPS Nationals in 2009, but Sarah, Jaz & I went as evaluators :D different experience, but it was still good coz the other team went to compete :)





Quickly came 2010 -  our year. We were the pros now. Managed to place first in the booklet, and SECOND IN THE DP. and we even enjoyed it! How far we have come since 2007...




So that's my journey with my team (highly condensed)
This year there was a new journey, this time with a new bunch of people, where I had the role of co-coach. It's almost like some bad soap opera in which all the main characters die off, and new characters replace them (but good in this case)
It was so different this year. I kept thinking back to our old days, when we explored the camp for the first time, when we thought we would win, but didn't. This people were going through it for the FIRST TIME. Everything was so familiar, the food was exactly the same.

I got acknowledged for my service to FPS over the last 5 years at prizegiving, and a lady who I didn't recognize (a coach) came up to me and said that she remembered me, when I was *this high* It's ridiculous. Crazy. I cannot believe that this chapter only has one A5 left.

Next year will be one of new beginnings. Hopefully I'll get to join something which will stay with me for my University studies, like how FPS did for high school.

1 comment:

  1. naww mini daniel. wow can't believe FPS was such a big part of your life. for me it was just like, that thing I went to in year 9 to wag first and second period on thursdays.

    ReplyDelete